Summer Gardening Tips for Success
It’s vegetable garden time in Indiana and Habig Garden Shops is your go-to place for certified organic vegetable plants, herbs, soils and Dr. Earth, Happy Frog, Espoma, and Healthy Grow plant foods. They have huge selections of herb plants, heirloom tomatoes and, as always, LOTS of GOOD ADVICE!
Need a few tips for healthy, thriving crops?
• Prep your soil with lots of compost and organic matter. Your plants will love it.
• Don’t rush it. As soil warms in mid-May, begin planting tomatoes, peppers, squash and melon starts. Seedlings should be introduced gradually to outdoor temperatures.
• Succession-plant every 10–14 days for corn and beans to extend your harvest season.
• Lacking sun or limited on space? Plant vegetables in containers for easy care and maneuvering into sunlight.
• Grow vertical! Vining vegetables on a trellis or cage are attractive and space saving.
• Lawns need attention, too. Habig Garden Shops has a full line of organic solutions and weed control ... We Speak Organic!
• Watch for their farm-fresh produce market at the Nora location. Open every day mid-July through August, featuring Indiana sweet corn, Decker melons, tasty tomatoes and more ... picked daily from local farm fields.
1225 E. 86th St. | Indianapolis
15311 N. Meridian St. | Carmel
5201 N. College Ave. | Indianapolis