Because summer food should be cool, flavorful and easy.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped to paste
- ½ cup (approximately) neutral-flavored oil
- 3—4 large basil leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale, stemmed and shredded or very finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, peeled and sliced very thinly (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 smallish radishes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup good aged Parmesan, crumbled or shredded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ripe avocados
- Lemon-basil aioli
- 3 or 4 ciabatta rolls, sliced in half and toasted
For aioli, whisk together lemon juice, zest, egg yolk, and garlic. Whisk in oil very slowly; start with one drop at a time and work up to thin, steady stream as mixture starts to thicken and emulsify. When enough oil is incorporated to reach your desired thickness, stop adding it and fold in basil and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
Toss shredded kale with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and pinch of salt. Squeeze everything together with your hands several times to gently soften kale's toughness. Set aside.
Meanwhile, toss sliced shallot with remaining lemon juice and set aside. Let both the kale and the shallot marinate for at least 30 minutes. Then, toss together along with sliced radishes, cheese, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
For each sandwich, spread a toasted roll generously with lemon-basil aioli on one half. Smash half of an avocado on the other half and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Pile on some kale salad, close the sandwich and eat.
Recipe courtesy of FiveandSpice FiveandSpice.com