- 1 whole chicken
- 2 pounds pork shoulder
- 1 pound lamb
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup fresh parsley, minced
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh, shelled baby lima beans (substitute frozen 10 ounce package)
- 2 medium green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound okra, diced
- 4 cups fresh corn off the cob (substitute 24 ounce canned corn)
In 9-quart or larger pot, combine chicken, pork, lamb, water, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and then simmer at least 2 hours or until meats are tender. Remove meats, and save stock.
Shred meats, discarding chicken skin and all bones. Return shredded meats to stock. Add next six ingredients.
Bring to boil and stir. Simmer 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. Add okra and corn, simmering another 30 minutes. Add more spices to taste. Makes about 30 side dish or 20 main course servings.
Watch this video for more about how St. Pius X cooks burgoo from its wagon.