- 1 pound unsalted butter, cold and cut into large cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup egg yolks (about 3 to 4 yolks)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1. Combine butter, salt and sugar in a standing mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat until smooth.
2. Add yolks and vanilla extract, and mix until the ingredients are well incorporated.
3. Add flour and mix until dough forms. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters.
6. Bake on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper for 10–15 minutes, until edges are slightly browned. After removing from the oven, let stand for a minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
7. Decorate with icing, coarse sugar, etc.