- 12 cups cubed day-old brioche
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 9 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Large pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 4 sticks (1 pound) butter
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Place the cubed brioche in a deep casserole dish that has been greased.
2. Pour the heavy whipping cream over the brioche; set aside.
3. Whisk together the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, salt, vanilla extract and buttermilk. Pour the mixture over the brioche and it soak for 15 minutes. Then, push down the bread with a spatula or hands.
4. Cover with foil and bake about 40 minutes, until golden brown and puffy. Check the middle of the pudding; it should not be eggy.
5. Uncover and bake for an additional 8 minutes, then remove from oven.
6. Meanwhile, make the sauce by heating the butter, buttermilk and sugar in a saucepan until the butter has melted and ingredients are incorporated.
7. With the butter mixture over low heat, add the baking soda and whisk until the mixture is foamy and doubled in volume. Pour the sauce over the warm bread pudding.