- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with non-stick foil (or use regular foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray). Set aside
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter using 30-second increments
- Add the sugars and mix to combine. Then add the eggs, coffee, vanilla, and stir till well mixed.
- Add the cocoa powder, instant espresso, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, cornstarch and baking powder and stir until it's just incorporated; don't overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with an offset spatula. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes till top looks set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs. Cool on a wire rack.
- While brownies have cooled for at least a half hour, make the ganache. Add chocolate chips to a medium, microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for one minute. Set aside. Heat the cream in a Pyrex measuring cup or another microwave safe bowl till it starts to boil. Remove and pour over chocolate chips. Let stand about 5 minutes before whisking to combine. If there are any small lumps, you may microwave for 15 seconds and whisk till smooth. Repeat if needed.
- Pour ganache over brownies and smooth with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with candies and chill for at least 2 hours.
Total time does not include cooling times.
Adapted from numerous recipes including Averie Cooks Homemade Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies.