- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup brandy
- 10 shallots, medium size, peeled and left whole
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine the olive oil, sugar, balsamic vinegar and brandy. Pour over the shallots and place in a baking dish.
2. Add the thyme leaves and season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover with dish with foil and place in a 500° oven for 18–20 minutes
4. Remove the foil and place back in the oven for another 3–5 minutes, until the shallots are caramelized. Set aside.
5. Place the cranberries, brown sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, until some of the cranberries begin to break down slightly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
6. Combine the cranberries and the brandied shallots in a serving dish.
7. Refrigerate overnight. Serve the dish between cold and room temperature.
*Nelson made the dish a day ahead so that the flavor and texture would come together overnight.