- Flax “egg” 1 tablespoon milled (ground) flax seeds plus 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Optional: cinnamon and coconut sugar for sprinkling on cookies before baking.
Preheat oven to 350° F
In a small bowl make your flax “egg” by adding 1 tablespoon milled flax plus 3 tablespoons water. Mix and set aside until thickened- about 5 minutes.
In a small mixing bowl, combine tahini, maple syrup, vanilla extract, applesauce, and a teeny tiny pinch of sea salt. (If the tahini you purchased already contains salt, you may want to omit the extra pinch of salt). Mix thoroughly.
IMPORTANT STEP: taste this delicious mixture you just made.
Add flax egg to aforementioned delicious mixture. Mix well.
In a separate mixing bowl add rolled oats. Pour tahini/flax egg mixture over oats and combine thoroughly.
Add chocolate chips to oat mixture and combine.
Measure out 1-tablespoon (heaping) portions of the cookie "dough" and position on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. With a spatula (or fingers) pat down and tightly form together the portions into a proper cookie shape.
*Optional (highly recommended) step for extra flavor: sprinkle cookies with a tiny bit of coconut sugar and cinnamon.
Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F
Let cookies cool on baking sheet and enjoy! Store in airtight container for 3-5 days.