- 2½ cups bittersweet chocolate chips (Do not exceed 61% cacao; 15 to 16 ounces), divided
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 large eggs
- 4 candy canes or 16 red-and-white-striped hard peppermint candies, coarsely crushed
Preheat your oven to 375*F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Place two cups of the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, stirring after, and then at 20 second intervals, stirring after each one, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Measure out ⅔ cup of the melted chocolate to use for drizzling later, and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar, vanilla and peppermint extracts, and beat until smooth. Add the eggs, and beat to combine. Drizzle in the melted chocolate from your original bowl, not the bit you measured out, and beat to combine.
Gradually beat in the dry ingredients, mixing just until blended. Stir in the remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill the dough for 30 minutes.
Measure out tablespoons of dough and roll into balls. Place on the prepared parchment. Bake at 375*F for 8 to 9 minutes, until cookies just start to crackle on top. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Rewarm the melted chocolate you set aside.
Drizzle the cookies with the melted chocolate and sprinkle with the crushed candy canes. Allow to sit until chocolate is set.
Store in an airtight container. ENJOY!
Adapted from Bon Appetit by our friends at Chew Nibble Nosh Blog.