- 1 large eggplant, cut into disks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup gluten-free panko flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, plus more for each frying
- 1, 14.5 ounce can Organic Muir Glen Diced Tomatoes with Basil and Garlic
Wash and cut eggplant into disks with skin on. Place disks on plate over paper towels. Salt with about ¼ teaspoon salt. Let eggplant “sweat” at least 15 minutes (you will see beads of water on it). Turn eggplant over and repeat with ¼ teaspoon salt. After thirty minutes, rinse eggplant. Gently pat dry, leaving it slightly wet.
Whisk two eggs with water. Set aside.
Mix panko with oregano. Set aside.
Mix together gluten-free flour with red pepper, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat ¼ cup vegetable oil over medium to medium-high heat. Dip one eggplant disk into flour mixture, then egg mixture, then panko. Place in skillet. Repeat. You should be able to cook 4-5 disks at one time until golden brown on each side, about 5-7 minutes. You may need to add additional oil for each new batch.
Serve with room temperature Muir Glen tomatoes.