Labor day is here and Edible Indy is ready to cook, drink and have a great end to the Indiana summer! These recipes are the favorites of our staff and we hope you will enjoy these as well! Give you...
- Dough for 1 pizza** (use homemade dough or prepared dough)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red onion
- 6 to 8 leaves kale
- Olive oil
- About 1/2 cup crushed San Marzano tomatoes*
- A few handfuls Italian cheese, shredded (we used a blend of mozzarella, provolone and Parmesan)
- Handful pistachios, chopped or crushed
- Kosher salt
*Notes: We recommend using San Marzano tomatoes (a variety grown in Italy) as the base; we've found they're irreplaceable in terms of flavor. However, if you can't find them, you can substitute another variety of quality crushed tomatoes.
1. Follow the preparation instructions for homemade dough or prepared dough.
**Find our recipe for Easy Homemade Pizza Dough at ACoupleCooks.com.
2. Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F.
3. Prepare the toppings: Dice garlic; thinly slice red onion; wash kale, remove the stems and roughly chop the leaves. In a small skillet, heat a few drizzles of olive oil, then add kale and sauté, stirring, for several minutes until kale is wilted.
4. When the oven is ready, stretch the dough into a circle. Place it on a floured pizza peel or pull the hot pizza stone out of the oven and carefully place the dough on it.
5. Quickly assemble the pizza: Spread a thin layer of crushed tomatoes over the dough, then add diced garlic on top. Sprinkle on as much cheese as you like. Top with kale, red onion and pistachios. Sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt.
6. Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Let pizza rest a minute or 2 before cutting.