- 2½ lb. (1.25 kg) 3- to 5-inch (7.6- to 13-cm) pickling cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp. (60 mL) Ball® Salt for Pickling & Preserving
- 2 large limes
- 1½ cups (375 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped red bell pepper
- ¾ cup (175 mL) white vinegar (5% acidity)
- ½ cup (125 mL) thinly sliced small sweet onion (separated into rings)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Makes about 6 (½-pt./250-mL) jars.
Toss together sliced cucumber slices and salt in a large glass or nonmetallic bowl. Cover and let stand 3 hours; drain and return to bowl.
Zest limes and squeeze juice to measure 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) zest and 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) juice, respectively.
Add lime zest, lime juice, sugar, and remaining ingredients to cucumber slices; stir well. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Drain cucumber mixture, reserving liquid. Pack cucumbers into jars, leaving 1-inch (2.5-cm) headspace. Pour reserved liquid over cucumber mixture, leaving 1⁄2-inch (1-cm) headspace. Center lid on jars. Apply bands, and adjust loosely. Once pickles are frozen, adjust bands to fingertip-tight. Store in freezer 6 months. Thaw in refrigerator. Refrigerate after thawing, and use within 3 weeks.
For a Mexican twist, use chopped cilantro and minced garlic in place of mint.