- 2 tablespoons cooking oil of choice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup white carrots or parsnips, diced
- A small bunch of ramps (wild leeks), stem and bulb separated from leaves, chopped
- 4–6 cups water (enough to cover vegetables in the pot)
- 2 tablespoons green split peas
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 head cauliflower or romanesco, broken into florets
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- ¼ to 1/3 pound fresh wood nettle tips, chopped (use gloves to handle and see sidebar for foraging tips)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large pot. Stir in chopped onion, carrot and the ramp stems/bulb. Cook until tender. Add water to the pot. Stir in split peas, nutritional yeast and garlic powder. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Add cauliflower or romanesco florets; simmer another 20 minutes.
Stir in the chopped nettles and ramp leaves. Cook at a low boil for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and add the can of coconut milk. Stir until completely incorporated. Purée soup with an immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon, if desired.