Everyone needs fresh ideas for cooking with the fresh, local and summer ingredients growing in the backyard (or at a local farm stand). Here are a few of our favorite recipes for your kitchen...
- 1 cup uncooked farro or wheat berries
- 1 cup shelled green peas (about ¾ pound unshelled)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cubed seeded watermelon
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup (1½ ounces) shaved fresh Pecorino Romano cheese
Place farro in a large saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above farro. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 23 minutes or until desired doneness.
Add green peas to pan with farro. Cook for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse farro mixture with cold water.
Combine farro mixture, salt and black pepper in large bowl. Add watermelon cubes, parsley and toss gently to combine. Top salad with cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light